Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chef Greg's Brussel Sprouts




Chef Greg's Brussel Sprouts

I only use fresh brussel sprouts, only using frozen as a last resort, but NEVER would I use those nasty canned brussel sprouts. Why, when there is fresh available?

I played around a bit with brussel sprouts, I simply love them. This is an easy way to prepare them, and they will definately tantalize your taste buds!

Ingredients:

About two dozen fresh brussel sprouts.
4 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of olive oil
About 1/8 cup of either shredded Asiago, Guyere, or Parmesean cheese.
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut each brussel sprout in half lenthwise, set aside.
3. In a large skillet (oven safe, I prefer to use cast iron), heat the olive oil and butter together on the stove top on medium heat for about 2.5 to 3 minutes, or until hot.
4. Place the brussel sprouts into the heated pan, cut side down. Use a spatula or tongs to do this so you will not burn your fingers.
5. When brussel sprouts begin to carmelize, turn them over on the rounded side, and place skillet into the oven.
6. Let cook in oven for about 7 to 10 minutes, checking periodically to see if they are done, you don't want them to burn!
7. When done, remove from oven and transfer to bowl or platter; salt and pepper to taste, and add shredded cheese and mix (use more cheese if you want more, but for me, I just like the cheese to accent the sprouts).
8. Serve as a side dish to any meal you wish, or do as I do and make this the meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment